Hagley Museum and Library seeks a Facilities Assistant to join its Preservation Buildings and Grounds department. Responsibilities include preparing and cleaning Hagley Museum property; monitoring exhibits; troubleshooting minor facilities and mechanical issues as well as opening and securing the property on weekends and holidays. Assist weekend supervisor in various facets of museum operations. Responsible for securing buildings and property. Requires regular visitor interaction and good customer service skills. This position will work four days a week, Friday through Monday (includes weekends).
1. Prepare Hagley Museum for weekend visitors including:
a. Opens the property before business hours.
b. Turn on exhibits and check for proper functioning.
c. Clear pedestrian areas as needed.
d. Perform custodial duties to provide a clean and welcoming environment.
e. Turn off exhibits, close up the property, and secure buildings at the end of the day.
2. Provide custodial duties, including, but not limited to routine tasks of sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning glass surfaces, cleaning and supplying restrooms, emptying trash, mopping floors, cleaning of windows and walls in accessible areas, snow and leaf removal, etc.
3. Act as primary person responsible for property-wide custodial supply monitoring and replenishment.
4. Deliver coal and wood to Gibbons House and Steam Engine as well as water delivery throughout the property.
5. Assist the weekend supervisor as needed to monitor Hagley property for unofficial visitors and cars; maintain buildings, grounds, and facilities for the safety and convenience of guests; and other tasks assigned by the weekend supervisor, including monitoring overflow parking and installing and removing special event signs.
6. Provide routine maintenance and cleaning for mechanical exhibits.
7. Monitor that property-wide mechanical systems are properly functioning, actively patrol and observe climate controlled areas and record environmental readings in specific buildings.
8. Provide First Aid and assist in any emergency situation that arises, including driving the shuttle bus in emergencies.
9. Perform room set-up and tear downs, including: moving and arranging tables and chairs, setting up sound systems, projectors, and other items as needed.
- Ability to work independently using detailed written guidelines.
- Reliability and willingness to assume responsibility for opening and securing Museum buildings, gates, and exhibits.
- Manual dexterity and the ability to learn routine exhibits and mechanical maintenance.
- Good physical condition and ability to work outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Good interpersonal skills to work with staff, volunteers, and public.
- Excellent driving record.
- Must be able to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday and all holidays when the museum is open.
Resume and cover letter should be sent to:
Yvonne Dalton, Director, Personnel Support Services
Hagley Museum and Library
P.O. Box 3630
Wilmington, DE 19807
The closing date for applications is Wednesday, March 1, 2017.