Hagley Museum and Library in Wilmington, DE seeks a part-time Sales Associate to work in the Hagley Store. Responsibilities include performing general retail duties; operating computerized cash register; assisting visitors, maintaining general appearance of store; and maintaining necessary records. This position will be scheduled on an as-needed basis for a maximum of 20 hours per week.
1. Responsible for cash transactions in Hagley Store including: enter transactions into computerized cash register, make exact change, cash out and balance the days postings at end of day, prepare cash drawer and using credit card system.
2. Assist visitors with selection and purchase of items; gift wrapping if requested.
3. Accept deliveries and maintain accurate records of incoming merchandise; ticketing and putting merchandise in correct area or department as designated by store manager. Participate in annual physical inventory in Museum Store, Frizzell’s Store, Stockroom in basement of Visitor’s Center and other areas as designated.
4. Maintain overall appearance of store, fill in merchandise and bring conditions requiring repair to the attention of the Store Manager.
5. As required, prepare store for opening and closing. Dusting, cleaning of glass shelves and replenishing of merchandise and books as needed.
6. Set up and break down displays at special events (some will be outdoors on uneven ground and may have reduced connectivity). Sell merchandise, must be able to manually note inventory and prepare paper receipts and charge slips as instructed by Store Manager. Ability to add sales and negotiate change without a calculator, if necessary.
Requirements: High school degree. Previous general retail experience preferred, including experience with computerized cash register and credit card machine. Ability to interact effectively with general public. Skills required: making accurate financial transactions, maintaining detailed records, and working with minimum supervision. Physical ability to work with merchandise on high and low shelves and to stand for long periods of time in all settings. Lifting and moving of heavy boxes is required. Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekday and weekend hours. Display experience required. Pleasant, positive, motivated attitude is necessary.